Sunday, May 3, 2009

Everybody knows it sucks to grow up

Remember my 7:30 am Statistics final tomorrow?  (See my last post)  Me posting this is really just me following Ming-Hua's instructions.

Now that that justification is out of the way, watch this:


Good morning, son.  I am a bird
Wearing a brown polyester shirt
You want a coke?  Maybe some fries?
The roast beef combo's only $9.95
It's okay, you don't have to pay I've got all the change
Everybody knows it hurts to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me
I'm sorry
Good morning, son
In twenty years from now
Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
And I can tell you 'bout today
And how I picked you up and everything changed
It was pain, sunny days and rain
I knew you'd feel the same things
Everybody knows it sucks to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here.
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
You'll try and try and one day you'll fly away from me
Good morning, son I am a bird
It was pain, sunny days and rain
I knew you'd feel the same things
Everybody knows it hurts to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here.
Let me tell you what the years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
Oh, we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me
I'm sorry

I'm sure you've heard this song before but last Tuesday Ben Folds released the University a Cappella album that this version is from.  We are obsessed with it at my house right now.  Especially this and "Not the Same".  You need to buy at least these two songs, if not the whole thing.  If you get confused for a second while you're listening and think they cheated and used a drum or something at some point, you're wrong.  All voices and beatboxing.  It's really incredible.  AND!  One of my friends from high school sings on "Still Fighting It" and "The Luckiest".  

Anyway, the songs of this album have pretty much been on repeat ever since we got them and whenever "Still Fighting It" comes on, I get the most bittersweet feeling.  I've decided it's for three reasons:

"It was pain, sunny days and rain"
  Sarah, Bek and I have been listening to it a nearly non-stop as we pack our entire house and move out of this flawless little thing.  None of us are ready to leave the Oakland House, yet today we were making trips back and forth from my new house loading and unloading furniture, and taking pictures off the walls.  At least once an hour someone would yell out or mumble, "I don't want to leave this house."  This lyric is so good because a lot of really painful things happened during this last year living here, but I also think back on really happy sunny days laying on the hammock out front, and afternoons spent curled up on the couch on the front porch watching the rain.

"Everybody knows it hurts to grow up and everybody does"
  The other thing that we keep yelling or mumbling while we're packing is "We are seniors in college!!!"  Really, none of us is ready for that.  Life is moving way too fast and realizing that we're about to start year 4 out of 4 is a really upsetting thought.  

"We're still fighting it, You'll try and try and one day you'll fly away from me"
  The other thing on my mind is the fact that I'm moving to Los Angeles in nine days.  I'll only be there for 3 months and I'm sure it is going to be amazing, but it's weird realizing that what I want to do with my life is taking me so far away from everyone I love.  I keep trying to talk myself into being excited about this summer because my heart is with everyone else, not in LA, but now I'm just trying to stop fighting it.  The Lord has me there and He's going to be faithful to teach me and grow me.

Apologies for the emo post.  I'm just emo and reflective right now.  I know this song wasn't meant to be taken this way, but I am.  And I love it. :)

1 comment:

  1. hello! you failed to mention that you had a blog of your own. so glad i just came across this. i am wasting time on facebook/blogs in my office waiting for a client and found your link...LOVE it!

    your story is worth telling. keep listening to ben =)

    ReplyDelete