Monday, May 25, 2009

The joy of being alone

Today I slept in late, woke up in a roommateless apartment, ate a big bowl of cereal, slowly got ready, and drove 20 miles by myself to Santa Monica.  I laid on the beach with my favorite music in my ears, read a book I'm obsessed with (it's like it was written for me alone) sent to me by a good friend, and had a Clif bar.  I drove down around the Pier just to see it, and enjoyed every aspect of this day by myself.  

I made the drive back to the Valley by myself and got a phone call from home.  I was put on speakerphone and at the other end of the line sat my mom, dad, brothers, and all my grandparents.  I got to just sit and laugh and talk with them and it was so good for my soul.

I love how well the Lord knows me.  I love doing things on my own, but I'm so thankful He knows every aspect of me.  Doing this whole summer alone is great for me in so many ways, but I'm learning that the comfort of familiarity is something I can't go without.

Praise Him for:
  • knowing me better than I know myself, family, the blessing that is this summer, California weather, familiarity

"Our life is full of brokenness - broken relationships, broken promises, broken expectations. How can we live with that brokenness without becoming bitter and resentful except by returning again and again to God's faithful presence in our lives."    Henri Nouwen  (this has no relevance to this post, but I just love this quote.)

No comments:

Post a Comment