Friday, January 1, 2010

a good year for music

in no order and not necessarily released in 2009, here are my top 26 songs of this year with completely insufficient explanations:

27. Cecilia (Simon & Garfunkel Cover) : The Local Natives
26. Sort Of : Ingrid Michaelson
My favorite song off her newest record. One of my favorite artists of all time.
25. Strawberry Swing : Coldplay
Saw them in LA this summer from front row and it blew my mind. Truly greatest concert I've been to.
24. Your Love Never Fails : Chris McClarney
He sounds not white.
23. Sleepyhead : Run Toto Run
I personally think their cover is better than Passion Pit's original.
22. Sing You To Sleep : Paper Route
Saw them in Nashville at the Ryman. Incredible show. For your own sake, start listening to Paper Route right now. You won't be disappointed.
21. As Tall As Cliffs : Margot & The Nuclear So and So's
If you don't listen to Margot, start doing so instantly. And start with this song. Released at the end of 2008 but possibly my favorite song of the year.
20. Buried In Winter : Jeff Pianki
A Rebekah Fess find from the Oakland House...I just think his sound is wonderful.
19. It Was Midnight : Tegan and Sara
I thought Sainthood was kind of lacking but I still love their music. That's all.
18. Florence Foster Jenkins : The Everyday Visuals
The music publishing company I worked for this summer represented The Visuals and seeing them perform this song live was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. They are so talented. Listen!
17. Funny The Way It Is : Dave Matthews Band
Another classic Dave album. Saw them perform this in Nashville and, of course, very very good. Solid single.
16. Poison & Wine : The Civil Wars
I'm recently obsessed with The Civil Wars duo and their little live album is such a tease. Life would be so good if they released a full length. I'm just sayin...
15. Falling Or Flying : Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Loooved this song and then heard it on Grey's during the glory days in the Oakland House and it made it even better (not a 2009 release).
14. Brooklyn Blurs : The Paper Raincoat
A summer discovery that I fell in love with quite quickly. All of their songs are amazing, this just happens to be a fav.
13. Moses : Patty Griffin
I've probably destroyed my vocal cords singing along to this song but Patty is one of my all-time favorite artists and I got the chance to see her this summer at The Greek in Los Feliz/Griffith Park. Allow me to recap: one of the greatest artists ever in one of the greatest venues ever. A 1996 release, so what.
12. 2000 Miles (The Pretenders Cover) : Coldplay
My favorite Christmas song this season. Again, not a 2009 release.
11. Hallelujah (Paramore Cover) : Vitamin String Quartet
I'm obsessed with the Vitamin String Quartet and this song was put on a mix cd made for me by a friend. Not a 2009 release but still loved it this year.
10. I Go To The Barn Because I Like The : Band of Horses
Old release, but the lyrics are so applicable.
9. Still Fighting It : Ben Folds University A Cappella
This whole record, really, could make my list.
8. Empire State of Mind : Jay-Z and Alicia Keys
This song blew my mind the first time I heard it. It continues to do so. He is a lyrical genius.
7. Gone Away : Lucy Schwartz
I just like it.
6. Falling : Florence + The Machine
I love Florence and their freaky sound.
5. Mykonos : Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes had done it for me again.
4. The Outsiders : Needtobreathe
Another entire record that I could put on my list. Credit goes to Spencer Nohe for introducing them to me long ago.
3. Just Not Each Other : William Fitzsimmons
His was a concert I looked forward to all summer and he finally played the Hotel Cafe a week before I went back to KC. It was amazing and the Hotel Cafe was paaacked and we were all sitting on the floor at the front of the stage and it was such a cool feeling. He sounds even better live.
2. Eet : Regina Spektor
I think she is brilliant and incredibly quirky/freaky and I loved this album.
1. Lisztomania : Phoenix
The standard Phoenix credit...I had to. Phoenix is all my boss talked about this summer and I can't believe I missed their show in LA. Anyway, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix deserves all of the accolades it receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment