Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Donald Miller

"And as I worked on the novel, as my character did what he wanted and ruined my story, it reminded me of life in certain ways.  I mean as I sat there in my office feeling like God making my worlds, and as my characters fought to have their own way, their senseless, selfish way of nonstory, I could identify with them. I fought with my [character] who wanted the boring life of self-indulgence, and yet I was also that character, fighting God and I could see God sitting at his computer, staring blankly at his screen as I asked him to write in some money and some sex and some comfort.

I feel written.  My skin feels written, and my desires feel written.  My sexuality was a word spoken by God, that I would be male, and I would have brown hair and brown eyes and come from a womb.  It feels literary, doesn't it all, as if we are characters from books."

No comments:

Post a Comment